The Words of the Vargas Family
New York, USA -- "My Role in Creating a Peaceful World" is the theme of an international essay contest for children ages up to 14 and youth ages 15 to 25.
The United Nations has designated 2001-2010 as the "International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World" and 2005-2014 as the "United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development." Additionally, 2010 celebrates the International Year of Youth as well as the International Year for the Rapprochement of Cultures. Young people are encouraged to participate in these global initiatives and play a leading role in promoting peace and understanding among all cultures.
"MY ROLE IN CREATING A PEACEFUL WORLD" What is your vision of a peaceful and harmonious world? What can you and the young people of the world do to realize that vision?
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of March 1, 2011) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 -- 25)
2. Essays must be 800 words or less in English or Spanish, typed or printed.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating
(1) category (Children or Youth)
(2) essay title
(3) your name
(4) mailing address
(5) phone number
(6) e-mail address
(8) age as of March 1, 2011
(10) school name (if applicable)
(11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants' names and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director. (Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.)
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or e-mail. (Email entries must be in text or MS Word format, with the cover page and essay sent together as one document.)
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Entries must be received by March 1, 2011.
The following awards will be given in the Children's category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of US$100
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of US$50
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift -- 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate -- 10 entrants
* All prize winners will be announced in October 2011 on the Sun International Peace Federation web site (www.sunglobal.org)
PLEASE SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO:+
International Essay Contest c/o Sun
International Peace Federation
8706 Third Avenue, Suite 1A, Brooklyn, NY, 11209, USA
* We are unable to confirm receipt of individual essays.